Yogurt soju cocktails
- Asian yogurt drink (for example, Yakult)
- Lemon/Lime Soda (Sprite or 7up work well)
- Pour 1 part soju, 1 part yogurt drink, and 1 part soda into a stainless steel shaker full of ice to chill.
Apple soju cocktails
Recipe by: David Arnold of the French Culinary Institute
Yield: Makes 8 drinks
- 1 Pink Lady or Granny Smith apple
- 2 cups soju (or sake)
- 5 cups chilled tonic water (40 fl. oz)
- 8 lime wedges
- Equipment (optional): an adjustable-blade slicer fitted with 1/4-inch julienne blade.
- Cut apple into matchsticks with slicer, discarding core, then put in a pitcher and stir in soju. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes (up to 2 hours).
- Fill 8 (12-oz) double Old-Fashioned glasses with ice.
- Strain about 1/4 cup soju into each glass, then add some apple pieces to each glass.
- Top off drinks with tonic and serve with lime wedges.
Apple Soju in an Apple Cup
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 2 apples, washed and carved out
- Lemon or ime
- Several ice cubes
- 1/2 cup soju
- 1 cup tonic water, chilled
- 2 tsp frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 apple, peeled
- Cut the top of the apples and carve out with a spoon.
- Slice the lemon/lime in half and rub it all along the rim and squeeze juice into the inside of the apple to prevent it from turning brown. (It also adds a nice tang to the drink.)
- Put the ice cubes in the blender and blend until the ice is fairly fine. Add in soju, tonic water, apple concentrate and the quarter slice of apple.
- Blend until well mixed and apple is chopped into small bits. Taste and adjust ingredients if you would like.
- Serve cold in the apple cups!
Watermelon (Subak) Soju
Yield: 4-8 servings
- 2 small seedless watermelons, kept in the fridge
- 2 bottles of soju, kept in the fridge (about 4 cups worth)
- 2 cups of ice cubes
- Cut off the top of the watermelon. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and put it into a blender. Set aside the watermelon bowls.
- Blend the watermelon flesh for 1 minute, until smooth.
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the blended watermelon through it. Press down with a spoon to strain it well. Discard the pulp. Remove the foam from the top with a spoon.
- Measure 4 cups of blended watermelon juice and put it into a pitcher. Add 4 cups of soju and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the watermelon bowl and add ice cubes.
- Serve cold.